Tuesday 8 May 2012

CDA Annual Meeting 2012

I had the opportunity to attend my first dietetic conference few weeks ago in April. This one was hosted by the California Dietetic Association (CDA) and took place at Ontario this year.

I definitely enjoyed myself, attending numerous presentations about new finds in nutrition. One of my favorite speakers was Douglas Paddon-Jones who talked about protein source, distribution and intakes for optimal health throughout the lifespan. His findings state that we don't necessarily need to add more protein into our diet, but a redistribution of our protein sources can greatly maximize our protein synthesis (ie muscle formation) for optimal health. For example, a typical American breakfast is carb heavy (cereal, pancakes, muffins, toast), lunch is moderate protein, and dinner tends to be very protein heavy. His findings state that there is a threshold of protein synthesis with 30g of high quality protein in one meal (vs. another experiment he conducted of 90g of protein did NOT produce 3x protein synthesis, as it was similar results to 30g of protein). So what does this mean? Any excess of protein from a meal does not benefit a person in regards to protein synthesis.

Here's a short video clip highlighting the points:



Another aspect of the conference was the exhibition. Meaning lots of free SWAG! Here's my loot on both days it was open for viewing. Lots of samples to try out and a few cool things such as reusable tote bags, measuring spoons, cutting board, water pouch, and of course pens.



I haven't gotten the chance to try EVERYTHING yet, but here are a few noteworthy ones I'd like to share.


Flatout Flatbread (Light Spinach): One of the biggest items I managed to score (it says "For Display Only", but I was able to finagle it!). A full-size sample of spinach wraps. These are low-carb (15g) wraps high in fiber and protein (9g each). I find it kinda ridiculous that the first ingredient on the label is WATER lolz. Taste wise, not so good. It has a chalky texture to it. Tried making quesadillas, and even the cheese couldn't mask the grossness. High hopes for this product. FAIL.

Pop Chips (Jalapeno Potato, Sweet Potato, Thai Sweet Chili Potato): All brand new flavors to the Pop Chip line! These things are never fried or baked...but POPPED! A lower fat snack alternative to regular chips. Jalapeno definitely has a spicy kick to it. Sweet Potato tasted like sweet potato. And Thai Sweet Chili and had a sweet and savory taste to it. Good flavors!
VitaMuffin VitaTops (Deep Chocolate): These sounded promising. Can't go wrong with chocolate right? And high fiber content of 9g?? Hmm, didn't taste terribly bad. Wasn't great either. Pass.

Udi's Gluten Free Muffin Top (Blueberry Oatt): My first try of a gluten-free product! Gluten-free meaning no wheat products (ie. regular all-purpose flour). This particular product is made from oats. Tasted ok.
Chimes Ginger Chews (Peppermint, Mango, Orange): These things pack a strong punch of ginger flavor Ginger is second on the ingredient list (next to sugar). Good tasty alternative to ginger ale soda (which most brands really doesn't have any significant ginger) if you get motion sickness.
Somersaults: They main ingredient is sunflower seeds, with the rest being a combination of whole wheat flour, sesame seeds, vital wheat gluten, sunflower oil, evaporated cane juice, and chicory root. They ended up being crunchy bites. These actually were pretty tasty. I really enjoyed the sweeter flavors (dutch chocolate, cinnamon crunch versus the savory ones. Has 6g protein and 3g fiber. Sensible snack.



Western Bagel (Alternative Bagel): This was probably my favorite one. So good that I ate all my samples! Just kidding, I gave them all out because I thought it was the best tasting one. Had a very pleasing taste and texture. I tried the Sweet Wheat one. What I really liked about this was that it was high fiber (7g) AND high protein (8g). Checking the nutritional label it's a bummer that the high fiber is from inulin and not whole wheat. Enriched wheat is always missing nutrients compared to whole wheat. But I still think it's still a good option in terms of a carb source on the go!


Looks like this year, high fiber is a big thing. Many of these products are boasting high fiber through the use of inulin (also found in FiberOne bars), which in my personal experience creates SO MUCH GAS. Not sexy.

Overall, I still prefer whole foods over packaged goods. Not only do you get so much more nutritional benefits, it's tastier too! Win-win situation.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the honey wheat bagel! The texture was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how funny, CDA in my world stands for California Dental Association! Unfortunately, the swag at my CDA conventions aren't as fun as yours unless if you think toothpaste and toothbrushes are amusing.

    ReplyDelete