Wednesday 25 April 2012

I like to *poke poke*...Tuna Poke!

photo courtesy of Tim Wut

I had tuna poke (pronounced POH-kay) before, but recently I had this interesting variation at K'Ya restaraunt in Laguna Beach that my roommate took me to. It's sweet and savory with a beautiful sheen to the dressing. I tried looking online for a similar recipe but none provided that sweetness I loved, so I made this one up on the fly, but it came out really well. Super easy to make...promise! 

Ingredients
  • 1 lb sashimi grade tuna
  • 1 pickling size cucumber (the small ones), peeled
  • 1 avocado (ripe but slightly stilll firm)
Dressing
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp agave nectar
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 lime (juice only)
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1 scallion finely diced (white and light green parts only)
Extras
  • Sesame seeds
  • Furikake (rice seasoning...has dried seaweed)
  • Fresh seaweed salad
  • Black pepper
  • Green tops of scallions
Directions
  1. Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
  2. Cut the tuna, cucmber, and avocado in 1/4 inch cubes. Place all in a large bowl.
  3. Drizzle the dressing all over tuna, cucumber, avocado mix. Toss gently, avoiding mushing the avacado.
  4. Toss in any extras you like! I put sesame seeds, furikake, seaweed salad, fresh cracked pepper in mine. Garnished with green onions leftover from the dressing. But you can always get creative :)
  5. Serve immediately. Goes great with rice balls, tortilla chips, fried wonton strips, salad, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment