Thursday 9 February 2012

Soba Noodles (my favorite carb)

I was introduced to the wonders of soba last year in 2010 by my friend Tim Wut. WTH is soba you ask? Simply put, it's buckwheat noodles, traditionally Japanese.

And all I can say is that I LOVE it. It's high in fiber, good source of protein, low in fat AND cooks in 5 minutes (while brown rice can take up to 45 minutes). But be careful, not all brands are the same. Some have virtually no nutrition value, so be sure to read the label. My favorite brand so far is by the company CJ. It's actually a Korean brand, but they also make soba noodles called "zarusoba". It has a combination of buckwheat flour and yam flour which gives it it's high fiber and protein content.
 

 Looking at the label, you can see that each serving dishes out 270 calories, 11g fiber, 17g protein, 0g of fat as well as 24% of your daily value (DV) iron. Compared to 1 cup brown which has 216 calories, 4g fiber, 5g protein, 2g fat, and 5% DV iron. The downside is  that it's much higher in carbs (about 42%) as well as containing loads of sodium. I'm hoping most of it leeches out while I'm boiling the noodles.


Even with those high numbers, I still prefer soba as a quick meal in a pinch. It's easy to make, tasty, and filling. Boil in water for 5 minutes, strain and rinse with cold water (or warm if you like your noodles warm) and serve with your choice of veggies and/or protein. There's also soba sauce, which is flavored with soy sauce and bonito flakes, but loads of sodium as well, so use in moderation. I like to toss in whatever I have on hand. Pictured below I have spinach, corn kernals, toasted sesame seeds, dried seaweed, and fresh crab ^_^

 
CJ brand foods is a wholesale company, so you can only find their products in stores and a few online stores. Korean markets will carry it, such as H-Mart, but so far I find that Freshia market is the best value at a pack of 8 bundles for $5.49. This is defininitely a staple in my pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment