Wednesday 1 February 2012

Not-So-Evil Sprouts


It's been awhile since I've blogged. I know I've neglected it for a looooooooong time. I didn't really have a strong focus back then, writing about whatever food. But after starting grad school this year with a focus on a masters in nutrition, I've been excited about good healthy food again!

Now I've always had this bad connotation about brussel sprouts. I blame it on TV. Kids giving disgusted looks when they see brussel sprouts. And I figured it tasted pretty gross too.

But I had brussel sprouts some time last year from a friend who was obsessed with Jean Claude Van Damme aka "Mucles from Brussels". And I'll admit it tasted pretty good. And I just recently been eating it more often now since it's a winter crop, so it's pretty abundant at markets such as Trader Joe's and Costco.

It's a cruciferous veggie and in the same family as cabbage, collard greens, broccoli, kale.

A 1 cup serving of these sprouts offer over a full daily value of Vitamin C (125%) and K (195%), with some Vitamin A and folic acid as well (13% DV each). And 3g of fiber to boot.

Plus it's super easy to cook. I usually just like to rinse, cut it half or quarters, saute with a bit of olive oil and garlic, and seasoned with salt and pepper. Be careful to not overcook (turns soft and gray) which can cause a sulfurous odor, glucosinolate sinigrin, to be released, which can also taste a bit sharp like horseradish. May be the reason people dislike brussel sprouts in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment